Compaq Portable III

Compaq Portable III

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ode to the "Bluecube"

On my quest to put as much of the best stuff as possible in this computer, I've started to order things from my list.


One of the parts that I was most concerned with, was how I'm going to make the AT keyboard talk to the netbook's motherboard. The obvious solution, is some kind of adapter that will convert the signals from the AT keyboard into USB.

Being that there isn't any (That I could find) direct AT to USB converter, the next choice is an AT to PS/2 converter into a PS/2 to USB converter!

After many hours of google searches and forum hunting, there is one little piece of hardware that clearly stands above all.

Enter: The "Bluecube".


The "Bluecube" PS/2 to USB converter is almost a legendary device. People swear by its broad range of compatibility with AT keyboards. I certainly hope it lives up to its reputation!

Basically, the plan is to crack this little baby open, and solder it directly to the back of the AT input. I'll also be soldering the USB side directly to the netbook's motherboard.
This will keep the oldschool AT look, and also allow for other AT keyboards to be plugged into the front of the Portable III. Or if I ever need to replace it with another OEM Compaq Portable III
keyboard, its just plug and play!



Theres a shot of the "Bluecube" opened up. Once the PS/2 port, and the USB plug are stripped off, it should make for a tiny installation! Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment